- Thur, Sep, 11th - September seminar - research on businesses and their markets
Job posting: Director of Support Services, Saskatchewan Legislative Library
Saskatchewan Legislative Library
Director of Support Services
Level MCP06, Full Time, Commencing May 2013
The Saskatchewan Legislative Library invites applications for the position of Director of Support Services. Reporting to the Legislative Librarian, the successful candidate will be responsible for the leadership and strategic management of the operations of the Support Services Section of the Legislative Library.
The Support Services section has six full-time staff and is responsible for the acquisition, cataloguing, and management of a wide range of library materials; development and preservation of the Library’s repository of electronic publications of the Government of Saskatchewan; and management of the local implementation of a consortial integrated library system (Ex Libris’ Voyager) which is hosted by the University of Regina and shared by five libraries in the Regina area.
The Director of Support Services is a member of the Library’s senior management team, acts as an advisor with respect to Support Services operations, and participates in establishing priorities and strategic directions for the Library as a whole.
The Library’s primary mission is to further the parliamentary process in Saskatchewan by providing confidential, non-partisan information services to the Legislative Assembly, to maintain and develop the research and legislative collection, and to ensure the collection’s present and future accessibility to parliamentarians, the Saskatchewan public, and the public service.
The Legislative Library, founded in the 19th century, is the depository library for publications of the Saskatchewan government. It is the official exchange library for the Government of Saskatchewan and has a research collection of approximately half a million volumes. The Library operates in a predominantly Windows-based computer environment with the Ex Libris Voyager integrated library system and is a member of the Regina Library Information Network (RegLIN) Consortium, Inc., a library automation non-profit corporation.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Directing the activities of the Support Services section, ensuring that section priorities, resources and work plans are aligned with the organizational strategic plan; developing standard operating policies and procedures for the section; and leading, guiding, and coaching employees in a collaborative team environment.
- Collaborating and communicating with a wide range of internal and external colleagues and stakeholders to ensure the planning, development and delivery of support services that advance the Library’s goals for service excellence.
- Managing the local implementation of the consortial integrated library system (Ex Libris’ Voyager) which is hosted by the University of Regina and shared by five libraries in the Regina area. Local system management duties include such tasks as: establishing and maintaining user roles and profiles; coordinating upgrades with the University of Regina Library and the Communications and Technology Services branch of the Legislative Assembly Service; training staff in the operation of various ILS modules; troubleshooting technical problems; writing queries to generate reports; and monitoring the export of bibliographic data to external utilities such as Amicus, OCLC and the APLIC portal.
- Researching innovations in systems, methods, software and equipment for facilitating the performance of the section’s functions and goals, as well as recommending and advancing initiatives to meet standards, best practices, and the evolving expectations of library clients.
- Monitoring trends in the publishing industry and in the production and distribution of government information particularly as it relates to the acquisition, management and preservation of the Library’s specialized collections.
- Performing original cataloguing, subject analysis and Dewey Decimal Classification for all types of library materials and providing guidance to Support Services staff who catalogue materials.
- Monitoring expenditures on library materials.
- Identifying, evaluating, selecting, and withdrawing materials in assigned subject areas.
Please see the following position requirements for detailed information on the knowledge and skill requirements for this role.
The salary range for the Director of Support Services (MCP Level 06) is $5,639 - $7,330 per month.
Individuals wishing to apply for this position should submit a letter of interest and résumé, delivered or e-mailed to the Legislative Library Administration Office (see address below) by 4:00 p.m., Wednesday, March 13, 2013. Please indicate in your résumé or cover letter where and how you have gained the required skills, knowledge, and experience. Selection for interviews will be based on this information.
To qualify for this position, the successful candidate must have a Masters of Library Science degree from an ALA accredited program in librarianship as well as a three or four year Bachelor degree, followed by at least five years of experience in library technical services, including at least two years in a supervisory capacity.
Your interest in this position is appreciated. We thank all who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
Ms. Melissa Bennett
Saskatchewan Legislative Library
234 – 2405 Legislative Drive
Regina, SK S4S 0B3
Tel: (306) 787-2277
Fax: (306) 787-1772